Job Title: Safety & Risk Mgmt. Specialist
Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports to: Safety & Compliance Director
The role of the safety and risk management specialist is to support and collaborate with the safety & compliance director in creating a zero-accident safety culture. This role will produce, analyze, and communicate statistical analyses, conduct training, maintain records as well as assist in the creation and implementation of a return to work and injury prevention program. This role will also cultivate working relationships with all employees.
Education: High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Business Administration, Occupational Health and Safety or construction industry-related area experience strongly preferred.
Experience: 2+ years of related experience
Certifications: OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 preferred. Safety-related certifications is a plus
Nature and Scope
Company Environment: Landwehr Construction, Inc. is a fifth-generation company with its original start in 1895. Landwehr Construction, Inc. is a diverse construction company focusing in areas including, but not limited to, demolition, box culverts, highway heavy, utility, crane rental, energy, and helical piers. Landwehr Construction, Inc. employs both union and non-union staff and works primarily in the Midwest region.
Job Environment: This position will require time spent in the office as well as time spent in the field during the construction season. This position will interact on a day-to-day basis with administration, the management team, and the frontline workforce.
Off season duties include assisting the Safety & Compliance Director with employee training and development and reviewing of policies and procedures. This position will take ownership of collection and analysis of occupational illness, accident and near miss statistical data.
Relationships/Management: The position will interact with all levels of personnel within the company including union and non-union employees, administration, other department managers and support personnel, and will interact with external sources such as subcontractors, vendors, and governmental entities. This position will also interact with members of the community to grow relationships and networks.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities
Safety and Risk Management Specialist Duties:
- Model and promote an organizational culture of health and safety throughout the organization to promote a world class safety strategy and zero accident culture.
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with all involved in Landwehr Construction Inc. to produce open lines of communication with all employees.
- Assist in changing behaviors towards safety, utilizing a teaching approach in a manner that allows individuals to understand the reasoning behind the behaviors desired and to promote safety being a behavior rather than a policy. Promote accountability for the adherence to health and safety policies and procedures.
- Serve as an active member of the Health, Wellness & Safety Committee to develop and manage health education opportunities, included but not limited to, a wellness program with the inclusion of the dimensions of wellness (physical, emotional, occupational, spiritual, etc.) for the employee and their families.
- Coordinates with Safety & Compliance Director and HR to conduct new hire safety orientation. Introduce the history of Landwehr Construction Inc. to improve buy-in to the safety culture and the family-oriented business.
- Reviews current safety training and recommends revisions, improvements, and updates to Safety & Compliance Director.
- Supports field work as a field safety personnel, which may include short-term travel assignments.
- Develop and maintain accessible tracking programs for employee training records, injuries, accidents, near hits, and corrective action histories. Communicate with appropriate parties.
- Drafts and develops monthly reports and presentations outlining findings, identifying, and explaining potential risks, and recommending solutions.
- Requests and collects employee feedback on suggestions on safety procedures.
- Assists with the writing of safety procedures, standard operating procedures, and policies, including Take-5’s, site safety plans, and ISO 9001 and 45001 documentations.
- Responsible for ordering first aid supplies and maintaining standard supply of PPE.
- Must have a general understanding of work comp policies/insurance, as well as the relationship between premium and experience mod and correlation with injuries.
- Assist in job in identifying light duty tasks or job modifications for injured employees.
- Participate and actively contribute to development of a return-to-work program with improved communications between all involved while promoting positive attitudes and experience to improve timeliness and safety of return.
- Identifies opportunities to minimize workplace injuries, accidents, and health problems.
- Works in conjunction with the Safety & Compliance Director and HR Director to assist in investigating workplace injuries and incidents as requested, identifies the root causes and implementation of preventative or corrective plans of action and analyzes trends.
- Coach supervisors and foreman in safe behaviors and how to create buy-in from crews.
- Assists with plans for disaster preparedness and management while also promoting Landwehr Construction Inc’s abilities to assist in disaster relief to local police, EMT’s, and fire departments
Character attributes/behavioral expectations/prior experiences:
- Must be a team player and promote teamwork and collaboration throughout entire organization
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to motivate others
- Must be passionate about safety
- Ability to communicate guidelines to a multidisciplinary workforce with a variety of personalities and belief systems
- Advanced technology skills and understanding of the different Microsoft Office platforms
- Good communication and coaching skills (oral, written, listening, and presentation). Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with others.
- Effective interpersonal and conflict resolution skills required
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to grow the position
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Familiar with safety policies, procedures and applicable Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) standards.