Landwehr Construction, Inc.
Job Title: Maintenance/Shop Tech Supervisor
Exemption Status: Non- Exempt
Authorization/Supervision: Equipment/Fleet Manager
Education: High School Diploma, or equivalent. Post high school education related to this field preferred.
Experience: Five years of mechanical experience; ten years of construction or related industry; three years of supervisory/management experience.
Objective: Provide direction and leadership to optimize the reliability/productivity of Landwehr Construction, Inc.’s (LCI) equipment, ensuring performance standards are maintained while promoting a culture of success and achievement through employee engagement, development, and recognition.
Nature and Scope
Company Environment: Landwehr Construction, Inc. is a fifth-generation company with its original start in 1895. Landwehr Construction, Inc. is a diverse construction company focusing in areas including, but not limited to, crane & rigging, demolition, environmental remediation, highway heavy, machinery moving, renewable energy, sitework & utilities, and wetlands specialty. Landwehr Construction, Inc. employs both union and non-union staff and works primarily in the Midwest Region.
Job Environment: This position will require time being spent in the shop and field during the construction season. The Technician Supervisor will interact on a day-to-day basis with Shop Manager, other Technician Supervisors, Dispatch, Construction Foremen, Crane Division and Yard Personnel. The Technician Supervisor position is a full time, year-round position. Additionally, this role will occasionally perform service work based upon business flows.
Relationships/Management: The position will interact with all levels of personnel within the company including union and non-union employees, other department managers, support personnel and be able to develop effective rapport with the vendor community.
- Ensure safe and effective performance of all aspects of equipment maintenance operations while collaborating with the shop leadership team.
- Collaborate with the shop leadership team in scheduling and balancing overall shop workloads.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations regarding the handling of hazardous materials.
- Ensure general housekeeping is maintained at all times to ensure a clean and safe work environment.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Review and testing of repaired equipment to ensure optimum operating efficiency and compliance with FMCSA, DOT, and other governmental regulations.
- Monitor and respond to factory technician bulletins and safety recalls.
- Ability to operate equipment, inspect, troubleshoot, and diagnose equipment repairs.
- Examine and evaluate parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Directs workers engaged in parts cleaning and assist with assembly/disassembly of equipment.
- Plans/schedules projects and provides solutions for situations involving parts substitutions or rearrangements of parts or subassemblies.
- Assist shop staff as required in performing duties to ensure efficient maintenance operations.
- Communicate and collaborate with shop leadership team in addressing all known actions, written or verbal, which may affect the ability to successfully perform assignments or adversely affect shop performance.
- Document repair hours, parts and supplies used, and other purchases as required for accounting purposes.
- Assist parts department as needed with inventory control and ordering parts and supplies for equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Research specialty equipment and attachments as requested.
- Supervise, mentor and coach all technicians in a positive way building a culture of success and achievement in the shop.
- Support continuing education and provide mentorship to build upon technicians’ skills and competency for diagnosing and repairing equipment.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills, Qualifications and Requirements of the Position
- Valid commercial driver’s license.
- MNDOT Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector Certification preferred.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times.
- Excellent supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and to stand and be physically active throughout the day.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, ethics, and integrity.
- Possess strong communication skills and the ability to keep all necessary parties aware of objectives, changes, updates, etc.
- Must have a positive can-do attitude, a team player who works well with others, a problem solver, and a superior work ethic.
- Must develop positive professional working relationships across all levels of the Company and outside contacts.
- Must be able to discuss technical aspects of the job effectively.
- Must have strong organizational skills in order to handle the variety of tasks.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and data management.